Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Are any of the stories in Confessions of a faithful woman true?

11:00 PM - 8 Oct 13 Reader  posted:
"I'm almost finished with @SimplyMilele 's book #coafw (Confessions of a faithful woman)   Which leads me to want to know are some of these stories true?" 

I have been asked this numerous times in numerous ways.  I started to blog about it on several occasions since I published the book in June of 2012 BUT decided not to each time.  This time however I decided to tackle the question as best I can.  I usually give a “non answer” because the answer is not as simple as yes or no.  Every truth has some fiction whether it is the perspective, interpretation, intent or the omission of other truths.  Likewise all fiction begins with some form of truth that is stretched, flavored, and colored in a manner to create an alternate reality.  As we grow and change what was “true/real” for us at one point becomes unfathomable at other points and things that were unfathomable become absolutely true/real. Each story, character, setting, scenario and experience in the book has come from something, someone, and somewhere I have directly or indirectly come across.  All the historical information about culture, holidays, places and events are true and for informational purposes.  All locations, businesses, books and artists mentioned throughout the book are real from either the pass, present or future (in the works).  All issues and hurdles the characters encounters are 100% real to me in some shape or form.  In writing this book I wanted to make it as “real” as possible so I poured as much of myself and those close to me in it as I could.  Interestingly enough some of the stories that seem the most far fetched are some of the ones where less imagination was needed.  Writing the book was a journey of self discovery for me and took place over the course of several years.  Some of the stories were over a decade old by the time I published the book. It was all in life I had experienced 1st, 2nd or 3rd hand of sex, love, relationships, life, initiation and the world at those points in time. When I decided to write a book (before then I was just writing what came to me randomly) I began to seek experiences from others of things that would be good to have in this type of book.  Many from many different places and times shared with me their perspectives. I intended to write in a way that allowed the reader to grow and reflect each time they read a story.  There are hidden things in the book that will only be noticed or understood if you have a certain perspective.  I have had readers tell me time and time again that they saw themselves in the stories and connected with the characters on a very deep and personal level.  I have had those who shared with me thank me for telling their “truth” in a way that others could relate to while keeping the integrity of what they wanted conveyed. EVERY reader so far has been able to see a reflection of themselves in at least one of the stories or poems.  I am able to see myself and those closest to me at different stages in life when I reread the stories. One of the most profound discoveries in writing and sharing the “Confessions…” series for me has been how truly uncomfortable MOST adults in this society are about OPENLY sharing their experiences, likes, preferences and views on sexuality and spirituality and how many want to be able to share all of themselves with the world.
My writing is to help open the door and set the stage for adults to have a healthy holistic sexual and spiritual life in a place and time where it isn’t taught, nurtured, supported or promoted, to restore our culture (Afrikan culture) to its traditional greatness and to challenge perspectives of homosexuality, monogamy, capitalism, oppression and what is "normal and natural"

So the answer would be definitely yes AND categorically no. 
I challenge EVERYONE to read, reread or rererereread the book as they change and experience new things in life and ask themselves:
“Which of the stories are true for me?”

No comments:

Post a Comment